Dr. MetaData

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Leaving Oracle

In April, I left Oracle and began working as the BI Strategy Lead for a company that intends to use OBI EE extensively in a SaaS (Software as a Service) model.

Today I deleted all the previous posts on this blog which I put up while I was working for Oracle. So the blog is now a clean slate.

As the universe of OBI EE users grows, there is an ever-increasing amount of activity in the "blogosphere" about the product. When I read these blogs, I have various reactions: some are very good, some information is wrong (even in the very good blogs), some people are writing about OBI EE who seem to have very limited backgrounds with the product. I find some postings to be amusing -- particularly those that frame their information as great insights, but which would have been covered in the first half day of normal OBI EE training. Oh, well.

I intend to keep this blog centered on metadata and modeling techniques, with occasional forays into useful web ui techniques. Also, as a non-Oracle employee, I might feel a little freer about talking about product "idiosyncracies" -- the things about the product that drive me crazy. (Yes, there are some.) We'll see. I was a part of the product team since the very beginning, when the product was still on the drawing board in 1998, and so have a lot of affection for the product and the great group of people that developed it. In my opinion, it's still clearly the best BI platform available by a long shot, and in my new position I'm excited about the possibilities of using it to drive new business for the company I now work for. Whatever insights about the product that I develop while in this capacity, I'll post here. Stay posted.

1 Comments:

  • Kurt, I was hitting your blog to research a metadata question only to find you have left Oracle. Oracle's loss!! We at Oracle will miss you. But then you're only a blog away. I always appreciated your command of the topic, and ability to articulate different perspectives. Sort of felt as though I was listening to a university professor at times. I Hope to see you again, perhaps at OOW.

    By Blogger canuckdc, at May 16, 2008, 2:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home